GIS TECHNICIAN – Vacancy Announcement
Title: GIS Technician
Department: GIS, Land Records and E-911 Addressing
Salary Range: $26,083 – $40,428
Hours of Work: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., M-F
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Description of Duties: Performs work involving preparing, maintaining and updating real estate records and tax maps; assisting the public
• Property Tax Mapping/Deed and Record Research – Reads and interprets deeds; determines property tax listing and location. Calculates acreage and dimensions and assigns new PIN numbers. Enters ownership transfer information into tax database. research of deeds, wills and other legal documents to determine tax ownership listing, location of property lines, acreage, etc. Creates and distributes tax maps as needed. Plots legal descriptions in the GIS for taxation purposes. Assures that cadastral maps and the online GIS maps are current and updated on a regular basis.
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS) – Coordinates with and provides support/data with other departments and organizations both throughout Hertford County and the State of North Carolina.
• E-911 Addressing – Provides E-911 addressing information to the public as requested. Assigns new E-911 addresses.
• Clerical – Answers phone, email and public inquiries as related to the nature of work.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements:
• Any combination of education or experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited community college with major course work in geographic information systems, geography, computer science, planning, engineering or a related field.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience: Applicant must possess the ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, realtors, attorneys, other departments, and the general public
• Considerable knowledge of state and local laws, policies, and procedures regarding property mapping, real estate listing, appraisal, and records management.
• Considerable knowledge of surveying and mapping techniques and the ability to read and understand these documents.
• Ability to read and interpret land descriptions and deeds, draw accurate maps to scale, and compute property areas.
• Certified NC Property Mapper
Application Process: Applications accepted Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at:
109 Community College Road
Ahoskie, NC 27910
Phone: (252) 862-1257
Fax: (252) 862-1270
Hertford County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sara P. Turner, GISP
GIS, Land Records and Rural E-911 Addressing Director,
Hertford County, NC
P.O. Box 567, 704 N. King St.
Winton, NC 27986
sara.powell.turner -@- hertfordcountync.gov